Kamis, 17 Mei 2012

ambiguity and vagueness


"ambiguity" and "vagueness" are two important concepts for the theory of interpretation.  Some legal texts are ambiguous--they can have two or more distinct meanings.  And some legal texts are vague--they use concepts that have indefinite application to particular cases.  And some legal texts are both vague and ambiguous--they have multiple meanings, some (or all) of which have indefinite applications.  Therefore knowing "vagueness" and "ambiguity" are basic concepts in the theory of interpretation.
—  A word is ambiguous if it has several distinct senses.
—  Example 1 (English):
1.      I built a run for my chickens.
2.      I go for a run before work.
3.      I hit a home run during the cricket match.
Note: - 2 & 3 both involve the physical act of running.
-      Example 1 has a specialised meaning

—  In context, a word can seem to have several distinct senses. Some may appear more related than others.

...and for another example:
—  There’s a mole in my garden
—  mole1 = small, furry animal living underground
—  There’s a mole in the CIA
—  mole2 = a spy
-      We can say that mole is 2-ways ambiguous
-      So run is 2-ways ambiguous (2 senses)
-              Ambiguity:
o        In this case, the context will select one of the meanings/senses
o        We often don’t even notice ambiguity, because context clarifies the intended meaning.
-              Vagueness:
o        Context adds information to the sense.
o        Therefore the sense of the word itself doesn’t contain all the information.
o        It is underspecified.
Tests for ambiguity and vagueness
—  There are some tests to decide whether meaning distinctions involve ambiguity or vagueness.
—  The do-so test of meaning identity
—  The synonymy or sense-relations test
—  The do-so test:
-       I ate a sandwich and Mary
—  The do-so construction is interpreted as identical to the preceding verb phrase
-      I made a run and so did Priscilla
—  If “I made a run” = “I ran”, then Priscilla cannot have made a run for her chickens...
—  So, again, these are two distinct senses of run.
—  ambiguity (several word senses) and vagueness (single sense, with slight variations in context)
The sense relations test
—  Basic principle:
—  Words exhibit synonymy or similarity of meaning to other words.
—  Therefore, if a word is ambiguous, we can substitute it for a similar word in the same context, and see if the meaning stays roughly  the same.
Sense relations examples
i.e:
- I go for a run every morning.
—  - I go for a jog every morning.
run1 = physical act of running (similar word: jog)

However it cannot be :
·         I go for an enclosure every morning.
run2 = a closed space for animals (similar word: enclosure)
We can’t substitute one set of words for another and still keep the same meaning.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar